CA 2600 Improvements

The Cherry Audio CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking ARP 2600 synthesizer.
gentleclockdivider

CA 2600 Improvements

Post by gentleclockdivider »

-Filter needs improvements ,serious improvements
-separate distortion algoritms for pre-amp and distortion module ,they are the same right now
-gain staging , ability to overload the filter when driving hard ( like in decent analogue modelled stuff :) , use a spice model :)
-Ability to handle feedback loops , I know it's verry difficult to achieve this in the software domain , but hey you guys claimed to have an accurate model of the arp 2600 ..

Right now , CA 2600 would have made waves if it was released 10-15 years ago , now not so much ( except for those who blindly believe marketing hype and don't use their ears )
Let's make it better

Go for it !!
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: CA 2600 Improvements

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

HI,

Did you try build 89?

Greg
gentleclockdivider

Post by gentleclockdivider »

Why do you always say 'have you tried the latest build , since nothing has changed appart from the filter and bug fixes ?
The filter sounds better , but I think there is still place for a lot improvement for the things I mentioned
The preamp and distortion still use the same algoritm , etc..please ad a hyperbolic tangent function , it sounds much better
Lack of gain staging , reason why CA 2600 sounds flat and 2 dimensional
Maybe I just expected too much from cherry audio
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

I mentioned the update again here because you also mentioned filtering, and you hadn't commented on the tweaks we made to the filter at the time of my post, so I wasn't sure if you'd tried the update yet. That was build 86, and we also released build 89, which fixed another issue you mentioned.

Thanks for all your feedback, and suggestions!

Greg
ortho

Post by ortho »

I noticed a couple of differences from the original Arp 2600 that I would like to see added:

1. The electronic switch: On the original it is bi-directional, but on the CA2600 it only switches between 2 inputs to a single output. It should also accept a single input and alternate it across its 2 outputs.

2. The Mixer: On the original 2600 when you plug into one of the 2 mixer output channels above the faders, it removes that signal from the path going to the pan control. The CA2600 does not mute the signal when you plug into this output jack. It is useful on the original because it allows you to use one mixer channel for attenuated CV control and the other for the audio path. It would also be nice if you added an input jack between the mixer and the pan control (as on the original 2600) so you could use both channels of the mixer for something besides audio output since it's not (always) a very exciting/crucial part of the audio signal path.

I can send along the information from the ARP2600 manual if my descriptions don't make sense.

I'm having fun with it, otherwise. I appreciate the bug corrections/improvements over the last week.

*Also wondering also if an aftertouch output could be added to CV outs in the MIDI section.

Return to “CA2600 Synthesizer”