Cherry Audio's CA2600 is available NOW!

The Cherry Audio CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking ARP 2600 synthesizer.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Cherry Audio's CA2600 is available NOW!

Post by Cherry Dan »

Cherry Audio is thrilled to announce CA2600, the next incredible instrument in our expanding product line. CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking 2600 synthesizer from the 1970’s. Every aspect of the original, from the quirky oscillator waves, to the deep and powerful filter, to the external audio input and preamp section was modeled with tremendous precision. While it features similar functionality, CA2600 has been thoughtfully updated for increased flexibility. With normalled patch points, integrated effects, and no hidden windows or menus in the audio path, CA2600 delivers an unprecedented hands-on vintage synthesis experience like no other.

A Timeless Legend

In early 1971, synthesizer pioneer Alan R. Pearlman released his model 2600 synthesizer masterpiece. Bridging the gap between giant modular synthesizers and the newer, more portable synthesizers of the era, the 2600 offered an innovative “semi-modular” design. This unique layout consisted of a pre-patched, default configuration that could be overridden with patch cables. The 2600 could generate a wide range of sounds without using a single cable, but the introduction of patch cables revealed new sonic territories. From melodic lines to sci-fi nightmare soundscapes, the 2600 was incredibly flexible and has become a prized collector’s item.

Cherry Audio sought to faithfully capture the magic and soul of the 2600. Although CA2600 features similar functionality, we’ve added numerous updates to increase its flexibility and usefulness. VCO1 and VCO3 offer expanded waveforms, including a sub-oscillator on VCO1, as well as sync inputs on VCO2 and VCO3, and individual glide controls on all three oscillators. The filter has been upgraded with both 12 dB/oct and 24 dB/oct slopes, and highpass and bandpass filter modes are available in addition to the original’s lowpass mode. The Voltage Processor section has been upgraded with a half-step quantizer and a second VCA. The 2600's preamp audio input has been included in the form of a DAW sidechain input for wild and adventurous processing of external audio signals using the CA2600's filter, ring modulator, effects, and more. A powerful multi-waveform tempo-syncable LFO has also been added, in addition to a powerful MIDI Control section with selectable retrigger and note priority. The 2600’s primitive duophonic mode has been completely replicated as well.

Most notably, we’ve added distortion, mod delay, and reverb effects. Instead of being "tacked-on" like many softsynth effects, these are fully integrated into the user interface with CV control of almost all parameters. CA2600 uses the same highly refined and super-fast patching system as our flagship Voltage Modular platform, with unlimited cables allowed per jack, making routing, moving, and multing cables a breeze. We've even packed in more than 300 presets, including over 30 from the original 1970's 2600 Patch Book.

Cherry Audio’s number-one design goal was to place everything immediately in front of the user for an unprecedented hands-on, “everything right in front of you, right now!” vintage synthesis experience. With 64-bit high-definition audio, light and efficient CPU usage, and an incredibly powerful synthesis engine at your fingertips, CA2600 captures everything that’s great about the classic, and takes it to new, never-before-seen heights.

"Truly a wonderful machine!"

“When I first joined Black Sabbath, there were two ARP 2600's at Ozzy’s house. One became my constant companion for the next two years. The CA2600 takes me back to 1975!,” explains Jezz Woodroffe, a keyboardist, film composer, and songwriter who recorded with Black Sabbath from 1975 through 1978, and with Robert Plant from 1981 through 1985. “I can hear Pink Floyd and Keith Emerson immediately. With MIDI, spring and plate reverb, and delay, this is truly a wonderful machine!

Jezz Woodroffe performs on a duophonic patch with CA2600

Michael Beinhorn is a world-renowned, Grammy-nominated record producer and synthesist. His list of recording credits is a mile long, and includes Soundgarden, Herbie Hancock, Korn, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Hole, Soul Asylum, Marilyn Manson, Ozzy Osbourne, Aerosmith, and others. He is perhaps best known as the producer of the five-time-platinum 1994 Soundgarden album Superunknown, and as co-writer of Herbie Hancock’s smash hit Rockit. “The original ARP 2600 is one of the all-time greatest synthesizers ever created and a personal favorite,” he explains. “I have used mine on many recordings and am overjoyed to find in the CA2600 a digital version that is close to the original. The sonic modeling is wonderful. Thank you, Cherry Audio!”

CA2600 sounds amazing!” beams Mike Bradford, musician, producer, engineer, and songwriter. His incredible list of credits includes Madonna, Kid Rock, Deep Purple, Uncle Kracker, New Radicals, Stevie Nicks, Ringo Starr, Run-D.M.C., Dave Stewart, Disney, and many more. “It truly functions like the real thing, which I owned for many years. Plus the additional features like MIDI sync, FX bus, 12/24 dB filter option, etc. are great. It’s like having a perfectly restored 2600 with every mod possible, all controllable by a DAW. A dream come true!”

A 2600 That Everyone Can Afford?

Original 2600s are highly desirable, highly prized, and highly expensive, with working examples currently fetching US$8,000 to $13,000. Even moreso than most vintage synthesizers, they are frequently plagued by dirty sliders and jacks, corroded keyboard contacts, blown op-amps, and failing capacitors - owning one of these beautiful machines can mean years of expensive maintenance and repairs. What if everyone could own a sonically pristine, highly accurate emulation, with all the character and punch of the original?

Cherry Audio’s CA2600 is available now at cherryaudio.com, for the jaw-droppingly low price of only $25. It’s absolutely true, so we’ll repeat it again: all of the amazing power of the 2600 is ready and waiting for you, right now, for only $25. It’s available for both Windows and macOS, in AU, VST, VST3, AAX, and standalone formats, with a free 30-day demo available.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Re: Cherry Audio's CA2600 is available NOW!

Post by Cherry Dan »

Peter Kirn, founder of Create Digital Music (CDM), has released a snap review of our new CA2600: "This could be the easiest and most inexpensive way to put the epic 1971 semi-modular synth in your rig. Cherry Audio has a killer ARP 2600 recreation – and it costs only US$25."

"It’s exceptionally well balanced between original features and additions."
"The UI is also fantastic."
"It is stupidly easy to get to things like filter modulation and FM with an ARP 2600 – and when the modeling is this good, it’s equally stupidly easy to make those sound good."
"And … wow, yeah, that ARP sound."
"This thing got under my skin – in a good way."
"There are a number of decisions here that make this not only an amazing deal at $25, but at any price in software."
"The filter sounds authentic in its default mode, but you also get bandpass and highpass plus a choice of 12 db or 24 dB slopes."
"The reverb now includes a gorgeous plate option in addition to the signature ARP spring. Its character is just perfect for your next ambient patch; you are likely to love flipping that switch."
"I am sure it will become a fast favorite for me, and maybe you, too."

https://cdm.link/2020/11/ca2600-is-a-pe ... r-25-bucks

Return to “CA2600 Synthesizer”