Samson Graphite 49 problems

DCO-106 is a virtual polyphonic synthesizer precisely modelling every aspect of the beloved classic Juno-106 synthesizer.
tarkus1971

Samson Graphite 49 problems

Post by tarkus1971 »

Hi

I am trying to setup the DCO-106 and indeed all my other cherry audio synths as standalone, which is fine, but if I am trying to assign, filter cut off to say slider 1 and resonance to slider 2, both cut off and resonance get controlled by each slider together and not seperately. Any ideas, this does not happen too any other providers as they have midi learn and work fine. I have done unlearn all and tried to setup manually again, but the same thing happens. Any one the reason why?

Thanks in advance
Rockky

Re: Samson Graphite 49 problems

Post by Rockky »

No idea about that, but just tried on my X Touch Mini and both are working independently on 2 separate knobs so potentially some issue with the Samson Graphite itself?
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I just set up on knob on my usb keyboard to DCO-106's VCF Cutoff (using CC 74) and a different knob to VCF Resonance (using CC71). They work independently. I then tried to assign the second knob to VCF Cutoff. That knob then controlled both. Got the same results when I assigned the first knob to VCF Resonance.

Finally, I unlearned them both and re-learned each again. They were back to being independent. At no point was I able to get both knobs to control both Cutoff and Resonance.

Not sure what to suggest. Maybe check the CCs the Samson is outputting and what the DCO-106's sliders are set up to respond to? Also, does the Samson have a setup utility that might account for the issue? Are you using an interface in such a way that there is some sort of midi merge? Is it possible that the Samson sends out multiple CCs per slider, like maybe on different (consecutive) channels?

When you say "indeed all my other cherry audio synths as standalone," I assumed that was one at a time, but I wonder if you have any other midi going on that might be doing something.

Just some thoughts in case they are helpful.

Just took a quick (20 second) look at the manual. Are you using one of the User Presets (11-30). It seems that some Presets are for specific things.
Last edited by Steve W on Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

Thanks for the replies, I will try out some more investigations. The Graphite is not the easiest of controllers to setup.
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

Yes it is the graphite, it has templates for DAWs installed but I need to set up for just soft synths. Is there a full list anywhere, specific to Cherry Audios soft synths.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I seem to recall that CA used the midi communication from the original, but my memory might be faulty. If you really want to try to map the Samson to the DCO-106 based on the original, you could start with looking for the midi implementation for the Juno 106. [See https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-aud ... 06-control for info on using the Juno-106 and sysex with the DCO-106.]

But you don't need to--even if the DCO has everything mapped and even if the Juno used CCs. In those days, some synths used sysex (aka system exclusive) communication for parameter control. Not sure about the Juno 106. [Confirmed from manual: it used sysex, although modulation (CC01) was also used.]

In any case, with midi learn you can map your own choice of CCs to the DCO's functions.

Just found a copy of the manual on line. PMed you the link. The midi implementation is at the end, jut it looks like it used sysex for external parameter control via midi.

Not sure if CA came up with their own CC mapping. Since the DCO-106 has midi learn, I suspect not.

I would think you would want to use a utility of some sort to see what CCs the Samson sends. If you use a PC, MIDI-OX might interest you.

See also https://www.midi.org/forms/midi_chart-v2.pdf for a list of officially standardized CCs.
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

awesome stuff, thank you
tarkus1971

Post by tarkus1971 »

Got most things to work now, filter cut offs , resonance, and attack on amp and filter, so far so good, thanks Steve W.

Return to “DCO-106 Polyphonic Synthesizer”