Sysex?

DCO-106 is a virtual polyphonic synthesizer precisely modelling every aspect of the beloved classic Juno-106 synthesizer.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Sysex?

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Did you try the VST version (as opposed to VST3)?

Greg
infinitystairs

Post by infinitystairs »

Yes, I tried VST3, VST, and AU. The Juno's sysex only communicates with DCO-106 standalone. I think its an Ableton limitation. Upon further digging, Live 10 started supporting sysex in Max For Live, but I don't think it uses it outside of M4L.

Some other VSTs do manage to implement SysEx. I believe they do this by opening their own virtual MIDI ports. I think ctrlr is a VST that can get around this limitation.
https://ctrlr.org/forums/topic/generic- ... -and-send/
https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/artic ... in-Live-10

It would be hugely valuable if you can find a way to make this work. And a total game changer if you can do bi-directional sysex with the hardware Juno-106. The dream is to be able to automate the plugin knobs within Ableton and have the VST transmit that as sysex to the Juno. And for progeram changes in the plugin to send the appropriate sysex program string to the Juno so patches can be developed in the DAW, saved with the song, and sent to the Juno when the song loads instead of having to store patches in the Juno's memory.

If you can get THAT working every Juno-106 owner will buy this plugin!
djedgoes

Post by djedgoes »

It works perfectly fine in Reaper.
Just put the DCO-106 as VSTi plugin on a track. Drag and drop a .sysx file on the track and press play.
If it's a valid .sysx file, the DCO-106 gui will show the sliders / controls move to new positions. You could then save this as a new preset.

Question: Where can I find a bunch of nice .sysx files for the Juno-106 ? So far i've been only able to find one or two

Return to “DCO-106 Polyphonic Synthesizer”