Introducing the DCO-106 Polyphonic Synthesizer!

DCO-106 is a virtual polyphonic synthesizer precisely modelling every aspect of the beloved classic Juno-106 synthesizer.
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Introducing the DCO-106 Polyphonic Synthesizer!

Post by Cherry Dan »

Cherry Audio is excited to introduce DCO-106, the newest instrument in Cherry Audio’s expanding product line. DCO-106 is a virtual polyphonic synthesizer precisely modelling every aspect of the beloved classic Juno-106 synthesizer, from its characteristic self-oscillating filter, to its dreamy chorus effect. The classic design has been expanded with new, contemporary features, and we've packed it full of of over 330 presets, including all of the original Juno-106 factory presets. With an inspiring, vintage sound, and a jaw-dropping low price, the DCO-106 is a powerhouse virtual instrument from a company with a passion for vintage synthesizers.

Blast from the Past

First released in 1982, the Juno-6 and Juno-60 synthesizers were an immediate success. Reliable, great sounding, affordable, and easy to use, these instruments became a major part of the synth-rich sound of 80’s pop music. In 1984, the Juno-106 was released, adding MIDI to the Juno feature set. With this powerful addition, the Juno-106 became a fixture in thousands of MIDI studios, and went on to become a legendary classic analog synthesizer. Today, the Juno series of synthesizers are coveted by modern musicians, and the classic Juno sound can now be found everywhere, from chart-topping songs by artists like The Weeknd, Deadmau5, and Tame Impala, to the cutting-edge soundtracks of television shows like Stranger Things.

Cherry Audio set out to build an absolutely faithful recreation of the Juno-106. We avoided the temptation to add features that would deter from the Juno's rapid and simple workflow. Instead, we modelled every aspect of the oscillators, filters, and envelope generators, as well as the classic, rich stereo chorus effect. We added new capabilities that transport the Juno concept to the next level, including an arpeggiator (much like the one found on the earlier Juno-60), chord memory mode, MPE support, new LFO waveforms, up to 16 voices of polyphony, a moody delay effect, Cherry Audio’s shimmering new reverb effect, and an incredibly powerful detunable unison mode, for massive sounds never possible on the original.

The result is an instrument that sounds and feels like hardware. The interface is familiar and immediate, the 64-bit high definition sound quality is exceptional, the effects are absolutely professional, and CPU usage is light and efficient. DCO-106 captures the tone and soul of the timeless, classic Juno synthesizers, and carries on the spirit of the legendary original.

An Instrument for the Future

DCO-106 pays tribute to the past, but it’s designed for the future. All parameters are automatable within a DAW and through MIDI Learn. MIDI-mapped controls all feature adjustable min/max values and response curves. Cherry Audio’s powerful 64-bit sound engine, proprietary DSP, and alias-free oscillators produce high-fidelity audio that easily fits into any mix. DCO-106’s preset browser is fast, searchable, and very easy to use. DCO-106's LFO speed, arpeggiator rate, and delay time are all syncable to host tempo.

Perhaps most impressively, DCO-106 offers tight integration with MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression) controllers. All DCO-106 polyphonic controls are mappable to the X, Y, and Z axes, with both absolute and relative mapping modes, plus adjustable min/max values and response curves. Playing the DCO-106 with an MPE controller is an awe-inspiring experience - the combination of MPE’s cutting-edge technology and DCO-106’s vintage tone will leave you breathless.

Refreshingly, DCO-106 doesn’t use irritating dongles or annoying plug-in managers. Instead, DCO-106 seamlessly and automatically keeps itself up-to-date, and DCO-106 can be simultaneously used on up to four computers.

Voices Carry

“Just like the original hardware, it is so easy to immediately carve, sculpt or create a sound you are looking for,” says Phil Bennett, keyboard player for 80’s mega-band Starship. “Such a beautiful, elegant interface and such amazing accessibility and immediate functionality, just like my old Juno-106! And that glorious sound... I love the authenticity of DCO's legendary chorus, and with such simple extra functionality and added effects, it is instant satisfaction!”

“The sound quality is fantastic, convincing and inspiring even with all effects turned off,” says Eric Levy, keyboard player for 80’s arena rockers Night Ranger. “The UI is wonderful, and it's easy to see everything. Top notch! MIDI Learn is a snap too. From forging ideas to recording them, I can’t imagine any synth getting me there quicker than the DCO-106, while sounding absolutely beautiful along the way.”

“The Juno-106 was my favorite keyboard back in my top-40 days,” recalls Blake Sakamoto, former keyboard player for 80’s synthpop band Animotion and 80's funk band Dan Reed Network. “It had all of the sounds I needed and more. This is so much fun to play with! You turned back the clock to when things were simpler and full of discovery. I think you’ve hit it out of the park!”

An Astonishing Price for an Astonishing Instrument

Today, vintage Juno-106 synthesizers are in high demand and often sell for US$1,500 to $2,500. Common issues include failing voice chips, broken keys, and noisy sliders, making these vintage classics an expensive proposition to own and maintain. Now this beloved 80’s polysynth is available to anyone for a fraction of the cost, with perfect reliability.

Cherry Audio’s DCO-106 is available now at cherryaudio.com, for only $25. Yes, really. It’s available for both Windows and macOS, in AU, VST, VST3, AAX, and standalone formats, with a free 30-day demo.
tarkus1971

Re: Introducing the DCO-106 Polyphonic Synthesizer!

Post by tarkus1971 »

As I use Voltage modular in standalone mode on my 2nd PC (My Synth PC) the DC0-106 is simply awesome, it really gets that 80's feel going, especially the pads and strings which are essential for the soundtracks I write. Great for game music creation and Urbex videos too.

The filter is rich, the DCO, powerful, and the envelopes are snappy as well.

Nice one Cherry Audio.
JayBee6244

Post by JayBee6244 »

Insta-buy last night. It sounds so great! The Juno 106 was my first synth and I've always loved it. Using the DCO 106 makes me feel like it's in front of me again - it really sounds superb with a MASSIVE bottom-end when using the sub-osc or the filter resonance. Great work Cherry Audio!!!!
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I also bought this immediately. I already had a different emulation but this is just too good to pass. It is an awesome synth! Thanks Cherry Audio!
tonymax99

Post by tonymax99 »

i cant find the demo.. any ideas where to find it..

thanks
martb

Post by martb »

tonymax99 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:00 pm i cant find the demo.. any ideas where to find it..

thanks
https://cherryaudio.com/instruments/dco-106

Scroll down a little and the download button is there.
junotron

Post by junotron »

>>Just discovered and purchased! Awesome! Please add another envelope (one for VCF, one for VCA). Pretty please! I know it's not original, but you could hide it in another panel or make a separate build. Please!!! Say the word and I'll paypal you $300 to help cover dev costs... :D

It's tough, b/c some users want a really full-featured instrument and others are going to be put off by it. We ultimately decided to keep it simple and that adding additional oscillators, envelopes, etc. would turn DCO-106 into Jupiter-106. Stay tuned... there's more fun stuff on the horizon...
tonymax99

Post by tonymax99 »

thanks martb
demoed, instabuy..
now i just need to find the presets in polymode and seveties/eighties here i come

martb wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:26 pm
tonymax99 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:00 pm i cant find the demo.. any ideas where to find it..

thanks
https://cherryaudio.com/instruments/dco-106

Scroll down a little and the download button is there.
yamarolorg

Post by yamarolorg »

Sonically, Cherry Audio has hit this one out of the park. The deal clincher for me was that a lot of the presets were in the ballpark of the type of sounds I was wishing to obtain; with a little tweaking, I've found myself right there.
velryphon

Post by velryphon »

I have many top notch Juno virtual analog VST (TAL LX, Roland Cloud vst, etc).
This DCO-106 has for me the best GUI : sliders are smooth and double clicking for precise value pressing is perfect, the reverb is gorgious, 16 polyphony is really great, GUI rendering and different sizes are superb.
I have bought the full version of it.

But unfortunately chorus is not there comparing to the other, and worse : it drastically cuts low end !
Bass patches can't be fat, comparing with Roland's and TAL makes it so obvious.
Roland's is the fattest, TAL is close to it, but DCO-106 is really far behind.

I tried DCO-106 with the free TAL Chorus which is a replication of Juno Chorus, it's perfect.

I hope Cherry Audio will quickly correct the chorus, it will make the perfect Juno 106 vst...

Return to “DCO-106 Polyphonic Synthesizer”