Inserting a 7th Chord

anonyrat

Inserting a 7th Chord

Post by anonyrat »

Colin,
I am testing your modules out (I find them terrific BTW and the documentation is very well written ) and I set up a test using:

Song Control ( to give me the Key - A but really in Am)
Diatonic Triads (Where chord I = A)
Song Part One (which is 16 Bars linked to Progression)
Progression (set to 1 chord per bar)

The following progression
1=Am 2=blank 3=G 4=Blank
5=F 6=Blank 7=E 8=Blank
9-16 Repeated.
However I wanted to set bar 16 to E7th

I cannot think of how to do it - it is just adding a D to the E chord
I even tried E note to Major scale therefore making Key-in E but got lost.

Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks Peter
ColinP

Re: Inserting a 7th Chord

Post by ColinP »

Hi Peter,

One of the weaknesses of the documentation at the moment is that I haven't really explained how to handle extended chords. An LSSP XL workshop on the subject is on my to-do list.

The Diatonic Triads module is in effect just a handy compact solution for generating basic chords. To get the full range you need to use a scale module to get the root note you want, then use a Chord module to specify the chord type and optionally also an Inversion module (if you want an inversion).

Each extended chord needs its own Chord module so it takes up a bit of space but generally a song will only need triads and two or three more exotic chords so it's manageable.

Here's a demo patch that does what you want. It uses the Chromatic Scale module to give you the full range of possible root notes.

I've added a couple of Note Watcher modules so that you can see exactly what's going on.

I hope this is helpful.
seventhdemo.png
seventhdemo.png (1 MiB) Viewed 1624 times
Last edited by ColinP on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Here's the .voltagepreset file for the patch shown above...
Seventh Chord Example.voltagepreset
(20.1 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Colin,
Thank you so much for replying and your generosity in providing a preset to get it 100% correct.
Looking at your solution I was very close but with all the options I didn't know the exact combination.
Once again many thanks, will load it up tomorrow, I am in a different hemisphere :D
Cheers Peter
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Colin,
I tried the preset it solved my problem, thank you.

I should not have read your post before going to sleep as my brain must have been working on it most of the night.

I saw Note Watchers turn to Night Watchers and multiply carrying two buckets of water each...

Then my brain thought why can't the Note watchers turn into Note Dreamers. Where they look the same but the IN's become OUT's and you can click on, up to 6 notes on the keyboard and it outputs that chord. I imagined weird chords like C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 or even an easy E7th (sorry)
Room for a Label to denote what chord it represents. Maybe called Notes !

Cheers Peter
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Hi Peter,

I've already designed such a module it's called Note Memory but I've not had time to implement it yet.

I also have in the works a compact general purpose S-Poly Memory module that will store any kind of S-Poly signal including chords, scales and grooves. This second module would be really useful when a song contains multiple grooves as one would only need the rather huge Groove module in the patch when creating or editing a groove.
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

ColinP wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:00 am
I've already designed such a module it's called Note Memory - should call it Note Worthy ! :D :D
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

- should call it Note Worthy ! :D :D
:lol:

I try to give LSSP modules names that are as obvious and boring as possible. It's fine when releasing a single module to call it something poetic or abstract but in a system that has approximately 50 modules that interact closely with each other it would be extremely difficult remembering what each module did if they had fancy names.

Your suggestion of the name Notes is reasonable but could refer to a textual note pad utility.

I'm actually oscillating between calling the module in question Note Memory or Chord Memory. It remembers individual notes, chords and/or scales. The core elements are notes and it is kind of like a Note Watcher in reverse but by contrast I think its most common application would be to store chords and scales. And as chords and scales are interchangeable in LSSP the word chord kind of encompasses scale.

By the way, the existing Chord module produces 23 different chord types and with a choice of 12 roots that's 276 different chords. Multiply by the choice of inversion and the number of options is pretty large! Yet it's still incomplete as it doesn't include 11th and 13th chords, open or unusual voicings or clusters. Hence the need for the Note/Chord Memory module as you rightly deduced.

Also the module will optionally record from an external MIDI keyboard (rather like Melody Sequencer) so it would make it easier for people who compose with a keyboard to create progressions.

Anyway, given your feedback I'm going to bump this module up my priority list.

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”