tutorials 3 and 5 don't work on MacOS

zipb

tutorials 3 and 5 don't work on MacOS

Post by zipb »

Hi,

Checking out the LSSP demo and accompanying tutorial files.
On tut 3, no sound until outro.
On tut 5(https://www.adroitsynthesis.com/lssp-101-tutorial-5/_, no sound at all, and errors about path C:\Program Files\VST\Voltage Modular\Voltage Modular.dll.

Please advice.

Best,
Zip
ColinP

Re: tutorials 3 and 5 don't work on MacOS

Post by ColinP »

Hi Zip,

Thanks for the feedback. The tutorials on the website are still something of a work in progress so haven't been exhaustively tested. I will do my best to sort out the problems.

Tutorial 3 ought to behave identically on both Mac and Windows platforms. Just to eliminate the possibility that something has been changed accidentally please try downloading the .voltagepreset file again, if you've not already tried this.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Mac but I've alerted my Beta Testers to the issue to see if they can replicate the problem.

In Tutorial 5 VM is used as a plugin inside of VM and I had hoped that the Plugin Host modules would cope with automatically changing the pathname of the VM plugin depending on which platform they are running on. Alas not. So as things stand .voltagepreset files are not platform independent when VM is used inside of VM.

A modification to the Plug-In Hosts that fixes this would be pretty easy to implement so I've asked CA if they could add a few lines of code to automatically swap pathnames when VM is run as a plugin inside of VM. This would make the .voltagepreset files platform independent so Mac and Windows users could exchange presets that use VM within VM.

The alternatives are to have two different file formats one for Mac and one for Windows which means they can't be exchanged. Or to have separate files for main and sub-patches that then need to be reassembled by users. Neither of these options is ideal.

It may be that I need to buy a Mac just so that I can create .voltagepreset files for both platforms but I'd rather avoid that if I can.

Anyway, sorry for these problems. I'll post an update here as soon as I have some more information.
zipb

Post by zipb »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I understand that all this is just out of beta.

For me, there are interesting and useful ideas in your lib, although for non-trivial stuff patches may still get messy pretty quickly.

I was taught electronic music using modular systems in the late seventies. Large scale works were/are difficult/expensive/unwieldy. Record to audio, and do your arrangement cutting tape/using a DAW is a way out, of course. But then you lose spontaneity/improvisation/fun.

Best,

Zip
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Hi Zip,

Another member of the old school! It seems that there are quite a few of us veterans using VM. By the way I absolutely hated editing tape and aren't a big fan of the DAW work flow either.

Yes, large patches become very difficult to manage really rather quickly. That's why it's so important to be able to use hierarchical patches where VM is embedded within VM. And it's important that this technique works as smoothly as possible.

It's also why I sometimes bang on a bit about the need for improved scrolling and selection mechanisms in VM and automated cable color-coding.
MLohmeyer

Post by MLohmeyer »

Zip,

What MacOS and Mac type are you on? I share my VM patches back and forth from PC to Mac all the time and didn't have any issues with tutorial 3. I'm on MacOS 10.14.6 (Late 2013 Macbook Pro). Anyway, maybe explain a few more things about your system and settings in VM and I might be able to help. I am always curious to know of any possible issue with sharing patches from PC to Mac, etc.

BTW, I use a cloud storage drive to save all my VM patches and open them up interchangeably between my Windows 10 PC and my Mac. The issue you see with Tutorial 5 is common among most all the modules in VM that access an external file - due to filename differences between PC and Mac.

I always just reset the path for simple stuff like VST host, or the VM Sample or Sample II modules. In the case of JK's Random Sampler, though, it references too many samples to have to go find again (it can load a bunch of samples). So I was able to get JK to add a feature to save the sample files in the patch or save the path to the samples (a right click menu option), so we can choose between the two.

Regards,
Michael
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Thanks for that Michael.

I've had confirmation that Tutorial 3 runs fine on someone else's Mac too.

Zip, one possibility is that the Tutorial 3 patch on your machine has been accidentally changed. It would be great if you could download the .voltagepreset file again and let me know if the problem persists. Just so that we can eliminate this possibility.

https://www.adroitsynthesis.com/lssp-101-tutorial-3/
zipb

Post by zipb »

I just downloaded tut 3 again. Same problem. I only hear sound during Song Part 3/Outro. I use Mojave/10.14.6/MH ULN-8 interface.Latest VM.

Fade in doesn't work properly?

Best,

Zip
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

The fade in only affects the filter cutoff and amplitude of the drone voice at the right-hand end of the second cabinet.

This is really strange as my beta testers haven't been able to replicate the problem. So we need to figure out what the difference is between your machine and theirs (one of them is running Mojave).

When Song Part 2 is playing are you seeing a highlighted step moving left to right on the CV Sequencers and Rhythm Sequencers?
Last edited by ColinP on Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zipb

Post by zipb »

Yes. But no sound. When I open the VCA's, I can hear sound.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

You anticipated my next question.

So the sequencing is working fine.

Can you check to see what's happening to the fade out signal from Song Part 3 (the top right socket that's feeding the VCAs in the top cabinet) using CV Watcher or the scope. It should be 5 volts and then drop slowly to 0 volts as Song Part 3 plays.

It should then jump back to 5 volts when the song begins again.

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”