Fader module added to LSSP XL

ColinP

Fader module added to LSSP XL

Post by ColinP »

Another free bonus module has been added to LSSP XL.
fader.png
fader.png (26.19 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
The Fader module is provided to make it even easier to implement fade ins and/or fade outs at various points in a song using the special fader signals produced by LSSP Song Part modules.

This module behaves like two VCAs wired in series so you could use a Dual VCA instead but the Fader module is more compact and easier to use.

Although VCAs don't require much CPU this module is still highly optimized to work in situations where the control voltages are often either 0 or 5 volts. This means you can use a large number of these modules in a patch with almost no impact on CPU load.

For details see https://www.adroitsynthesis.com/fader-module/
anonyrat

Re: Fader module added to LSSP XL

Post by anonyrat »

Thanks Colin. I have to ask as I was testing this with your tutorials, yes it does save space but in a lot of cases fade outs are stereo. So my question is why only mono when doubling up would have fitted in ok?
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Hi Peter,

Yes it's something I thought about and it was closely balanced. What I decided was that I'd release a separate Stereo Fader module later for the following reasons...

I've found that in some patches stereo fading is less common than mono fading. For instance I'm working on an LSSP XL Workshop composition called Arwen than uses six Fader modules and only two of them are used as a stereo pair.

The stereo version needs six sockets instead of four and to keep the same 5 HP format then you'd have a lot of sockets in a vertical column that would look pretty busy and be slightly less user-friendly Also I like L R socket pairs to be arranged horizontally. So a stereo Fader would end up being a 6 HP module.

So if only a stereo version was available then in my example case I'd end up with 30 HP (5 * 6) being used which is the same as the 30 HP (6 * 5) used using mono modules, so in this usage case no space would be saved and the patch would look more complicated as there'd be eight extra sockets that wouldn't contribute anything. However with both mono and stereo versions available you'd get 26 HP (4 * 5 + 6) and no redundant sockets.

I know this is all small beer but minor details add up when patches get large.

But I totally agree a stereo fader makes complete sense as it would be more space efficient and require just one CV cable instead of two when a stereo fade was required.

So watch this space - a Stereo Fader should appear in your Library in a week or so.
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Hi Colin,
Although I did say Stereo, what I really meant was dual mono.
Here is one I developed before ;)
Unfortunately mine was not developed in Java but Photoshop so doesn't work as well. However, if in your example your 4 mono faders with this one you would have saved 2 spaces of real estate :lol:
Dual Fader.jpg
Dual Fader.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Cheers Peter
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Nice photoshop job.

One thing is for sure - your module uses less CPU than mine. :D

I think having a Dual Fader in addition to a Fader, Stereo Fader and Dual VCA might be slightly over the top.

I'm just testing the Stereo Fader at the moment before submitting it for approval by CA.

Here's what it looks like...
stereofader.png
stereofader.png (28.44 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Hi Colin,

How do I get round this problem?
Faderx2.jpg
Faderx2.jpg (113.98 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Both faders are working but in this example when Osc 1 has faded in, Osc 2 is going and when Osc 2 is fading out Osc 1 is going.

I have managed to get it to work :- Is this the most elegant solution - (Thanks Andrew for this great module)
Fader gated.jpg
Fader gated.jpg (131.91 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Cheers Peter
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Are you trying to achieve something like this?
faderpost1.png
faderpost1.png (21.52 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Where the red trace is the lower pitched oscillator and the yellow trace is the higher pitched oscillator.

if so then you can skip Andrew's module and just patch the IS ACTIVE signals to the unused fader inputs of the Fader modules.

The problem with this idea though is (whether you use Andrew's Gates or the IS ACTIVE signals directly) you'll get a nasty glitch on the sudden transition from one oscillator to the other.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Here's your patch modified to use the IS ACTIVE signals as gates...
faderpatch1.png
faderpatch1.png (745.37 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
But as I said, the sudden transition will cause a glitch that'll be audible as a pop or click.

There are of course ways to fix this, but I'll wait to hear from you before going there as I might have misunderstood your goal.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

By the way, I find it easier to understand LSSP patches if all the Song Part modules are arranged in order to the right of Song Control. It doesn't make the slightest difference to the functionality of course but I think of Song Control and Song Part modules as being integral parts of an imaginary Song Control Sequencer module so seeing it displaced looks strange.

So I'd arrange the previous patch like this...
faderpatch2.png
faderpatch2.png (541.76 KiB) Viewed 1639 times
anonyrat

Post by anonyrat »

Hi Colin,
Yes your diagram is what I was trying to achieve. I only set my example out just to frame the question really.
I would probably line up my song parts in a line too, but I wanted the example to be very clear.
Do you line up your pencils as well? :D

In your example with the is-active lead going into the opposite fader, how or why does that work? Is it passing a voltage that is the opposite of the current fader?
Oh and yes I was getting a small glitch. In my DAW I would use a crossfade don't know how to do it in VM.
Cheers Peter

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”