Harmony Module

Steve W

Harmony Module

Post by Steve W »

I am very intrigued by the potential uses of your Harmony Module. One thing I cannot figure out how to do is use a control voltage to select what I think you call Chord Sets (A, B, C, . . . L). I see the previous and next buttons, but I want to be able to choose specific chord structures (A -> L) not step through them to get to the one I want. I did see that I could assign each to a midi note using midi learn, but I'd rather not have to use a number of modules to do the work.

I tried using one of the 4 multipurpose CV inputs on the right but none of those modes changed what I think you are calling the chord sets. I thought the chord set CV target would do it as per: "CHORD SET - Change chordset (will only use active chord sets)" but it didn't. "The selected chord is green, active chords are grey, inactive chords are red."

Is there a way to do what I want? Am I missing something obvious? Is the chord set target supposed to work the way I want? If there is no way at present, can you add a CV target that would do this?

I have been test driving it and I really want to be able to use it. I really like the flexibility you have built into it. Thanks.
Steve W

Re: Harmony Module

Post by Steve W »

It might be that CVs can be used to select the A --> L chord structures, but the panel does not visually reflect the changes like the Next and Previous buttons do. I think I saw something like that happening last night, but haven't explored it further. If its just a display issue, could it be changed to reflect CV changes to the chord structures? Thanks.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Steve W wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:27 pm I think I saw something like that happening last night, but haven't explored it further. If its just a display issue, could it be changed to reflect CV changes to the chord structures? Thanks.
Just tested this with an 8-step sequencer providing CV to the Chord Set [CHD] input with A -> G (root, root + 3, root + 3 +5, etc.) plus a few variations. In all cases the CV -> CHD did indeed change the active chord structure without displaying the changes in either the structure section or the selection section. This is different than the display behaviors for the Next and Previous CV inputs.

Could this be fixed?
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Example attached. Note how CV can be used to select the chord structure macros but the harmonic structures themselves and the macros (here, buttons A --> G) do not change unlike the CV inputs for previous and next.
Attachments
Harmony Tutorial 2 - Chords - tweak - 001a.voltagepreset
(43.88 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
flucatcher

Post by flucatcher »

Hey, yes, you are right. CV of chord set does not affect the UI. I actually had that on my todo list but skipped implementing it because I was seriously tired of the module.

I have work on another module I want to finish first, after that I will go back to Harmony to fix a few issues with it. For this particular feature I will not select select the chord set with CV (that means that you will edit the chordset you have manually selected), will need to highlight the button of the chordset being played in some other way.

Thanks for reporting the bug!
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

Harmony module takes Voltage Modular to the next level! It has easily become the central control station for many many of my patches and explorations. Sooo goooood! I am in awe again. Weevil rocks <3
jgillmanjr

Post by jgillmanjr »

Honestly, his Harmony module was the reason I built the Poly CV to MIDI module. I love it.
A data engineer and pilot that occasionally makes sounds suitable for public consumption.

I've started making modules too!
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

jgillmanjr wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:55 pm Honestly, his Harmony module was the reason I built the Poly CV to MIDI module. I love it.
Love your Poly to MIDI module too. It was instabuy without try ;D
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

Yes! This Harmony module is so amazing it feels like cheating!

I like to pair the poly outs with the DCO-60 module for pads, but I grabbed your Poly->MIDI module too... these two together allow me to start powering my hardware synths in the same way. It's incredible!

I really hope the UI bug gets fixed tho... not having the visual feedback to know which chord group is selected definitely has slowed me down using cv control of the selection.
flucatcher

Post by flucatcher »

xones2358, jgillmanjr and tgrey. Thanks for the kind words, very appreciated :)

Will have a look at the UI bug, should not be too hard to fix (its just more fun to write on random module ideas, I guess I need some focus).

Regards
Tobias

Return to “weevil”