Sequencer rate [user error]? (solved)

tgrey

Sequencer rate [user error]? (solved)

Post by tgrey »

I'm pretty sure this is a bug, but maybe there's something I'm not aware of here...

Glide Seq seems to run twice as fast as CV Seq and Gate Seq. Plus there seems to be a pause at the start of CV and Gate.

Both of these behaviors are more pronounced with a really slow clock, such as in this test patch:
MBA Seq Test.voltagepreset
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
A few start/stop/reset cycles should make it pretty obvious.
Last edited by tgrey on Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honki-bobo

Re: Sequencer rate bug?

Post by honki-bobo »

Hi tgrey,

the Glide Sequencer reacts to changes at the CV Input jack, which is supposed to be fed with the CV Output of the CV Sequencer (or any sequencer for that matter). The idea behind this is that a glide can only happen between two different voltages. That is why the Glide Sequencer does not have a trigger input.

In your patch you connected the clock output of Tempo Clock to the CV Input of Glide Sequencer. Since the clock signal is basically a gate signal that alternates between 5V and 0V every clock cycle you have experienced the "double speed", while the CV Output of Glide Sequencer was sliding between 5V and 0V.

The "pause" at the start of CV and Gate Sequencer is intended and resembles the behavior of Cherry Audio's 8 Step Sequencer. The only difference is that CA's sequencer jumps back to step 1 when the first trigger after a reset arrives, while my sequencers jump to step 1 directly with the reset signal.

I have adjusted your patch and also added CA's 8 Step Sequencer so you can see that the behavior is (almost) the same.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Martin

MBA Seq Test adjusted.voltagepreset
(7.35 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
tgrey

Re: Sequencer rate bug?

Post by tgrey »

Thanks for the quick reply! I see, I totally missed that Glide has CV in instead of Trig in.

Sorry for jumping the gun on calling it a bug. I had bought the sequencer bundle when it was on sale a while back, but hadn't actually played with it much yet outside of Tempo Clock (incredibly useful!) and the Gate Seq (also a simple but very handy tool!). This was my first time patching all of them up to experiment and expected different results.

Next time I guess I should RTFM first :lol:
honki-bobo

Re: Sequencer rate [user error]? (solved)

Post by honki-bobo »

No problem. Glad we could clear this up.

And I think hardly anyone ever RTFM first, but isn't that the fun of modular exploration?!?

Happy patching!
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube

Return to “Monkey Business Audio”