Updates and new modules released: Beats2Pitch Bundle

honki-bobo

Updates and new modules released: Beats2Pitch Bundle

Post by honki-bobo »

Dear fellow modular enthusiasts,

3 new modules have been released and are now a free addition to the Beats2Pitch Bundle:

Time Adder

When you need a note length that is not covered by Beats2Pitch's outputs, use Time Adder to add up note length until you get the duration you desire, e.g. for a note that is 1/16th short of a half note, add a quarter to a dotted 1/8th note and there you go. The pitch CV input values get converted to the frequency they represent and then to the time it takes for 1 cycle to complete. All time values are added up and the sum gets converted back to pitch CV and is sent to the output.

Time Adder features 2 independent channels with 4 inputs each.

Pitch Harmonix

With Pitch Harmonix you can create pitch CV signals to create upper or lower harmonics for a given pitch up (or down) to the 32nd harmonic.

With respect to time this means you can create whole number multiples or divisions of a given beat, widely expanding the capabilities of the Beats2Pitch Bundle.

Synced Delay

Synced Delay - or Syncedly for short - is more than just another basic delay module. Besides being a stereo effect, its Delay Time ranges from 1 ms up to 10 s! The input jack next to the delay time knob is supposed to be fed with pitch CV, like all of the Beats2Pitch Bundle modules. When it is connected, the delay time knob will be deactivated and the delay time is taken from the input jack.

Feedback can be set from -100% to +100%. The feedback loop can be manipulated with external effects or CV processors via the FB Send and FB Return jacks. The send-level is unattenuated while the feedback amount determines the level of the signal from the return inputs.

Mix sets the dry/wet mix and can also be modulated.

Updated: Pitch Swing

Pitch Swing is basically a clock generator that outputs a trigger signal every time a cycle of the given PITCH CV starts. It can add a swing to the clock signal, where the SWING amount determines the length of the first cycle relative to the second cycle. The PITCH CV output gets adjusted according to the SWING amount. A high signal state at the RESET input (greater or equal 2.5 V) resets the swing cycle.

New feature: The TRIG output jacks can now be set to output the first trigger or both, and the second or both respectively.

Beats2Pitch Bundle.png
Beats2Pitch Bundle.png (290.98 KiB) Viewed 4166 times

Hope you enjoy the new modules and features.

Best regards,
Martin
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
ChR_is

Re: Updates and new modules released: Beats2Pitch Bundle

Post by ChR_is »

Thank you so much for sync delay and pitch harmonix!!!
that was a pleasant surprise finding new modules in my library :)

synced delay can be abused for make-shift phase modulation, since it does apply exactly the delay on its input, which when modulated at audio-rate delays the phase of the input signal. very awesome!
Pitch harmonix... you can now create a basic (or advanced) additive synth out of everything.. where do i even begin? that's genius! :)

one question though:
can you please explain how the beats2pitch module works? i don't quite understand the patch matrix and how to set up an lfo/oscillator so that the pitch cv is applied correctly.. 🙃
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Hi ChR_is,

you're welcome, glad you enjoy the new modules.

Regarding Beats2Pitch:

With the buttons along the output jacks panel you tell the module what will be considered a "beat" and the tempo knob sets the number of beats per minute. By default a beat is set to 1/4 note, which is most common.
The output jacks deliver the pitch CV for the note length corresponding to its position in the grid, e.g. the jack at a 1/4 will output the CV for a 1/4 note, the jack at 1/8 in the triplet column (left) will output the CV for a 1/8th triplet and so on. Basically if you go up in the jack panel you double the note length, if you go down you half the note length, to the left it's times 2/3, to the right it's times 3/2.

To tempo-sync an LFO you need to set the range of the LFO to H and the frequency to about 65.4063913 Hz (or 55 * 2^0.25 to be exact). This is the frequency of a C2, which corresponds to 0V. It's the same frequency you hear when there is no pitch CV plugged into any oscillator. I have attached the preset preset from the second image on the Beats2Pitch module's CA store page so you can try this out right away.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, let me know.

Happy patching!

[Beats2Pitch Bundle] Tempo-sync LFO.voltagepreset
(8.76 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
ChR_is

Post by ChR_is »

i have tried this approach with multiple LFOs but unfortunately they all seem to have different scaling on their range and/or speed cv input. the CA LFO however works great with the value you provided. so i guess i have to calculate the correct lfo speed for every lfo then :D

thanks for your explanations! i think i understood the patch and buttons now :)

Return to “Monkey Business Audio”