ADSR graphical nitpick

martb

ADSR graphical nitpick

Post by martb »

The updated env generator in VM 2 has a slight inconsistency re. the sliders.
The sliders are all 'zeroed' yet the attack appears slightly out of line with the others.
adsr.jpg
adsr.jpg (8.03 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
andro

Re: ADSR graphical nitpick

Post by andro »

That's because the minimum is 2 ms. Whether that is a good decision or not I don't know, but I do know that zero ms will make it pop and glitch etc.
martb

Post by martb »

andro wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:47 pm That's because the minimum is 2 ms. Whether that is a good decision or not I don't know, but I do know that zero ms will make it pop and glitch etc.
That did occur to me but the release slider has a minimum of 2ms as well. Also it didn't appear that way on the previous version. As I say though - a minor nitpick :)
andro

Post by andro »

Now that I reflect on it again, I think I concur. The sliders should all sit in the bottom, even though the minimum may be 2.0 ms. I will file a bug report. At the very least, this CA module is inconsistent between attack and release.
cherryMitch

Post by cherryMitch »

Good catch - the placement of the entire slider was actually a little off. It has been fixed.

The 2ms minimum attack time is completely unrelated, but trust me, for just about all musical sounds, you want that (as well as the 2ms min release time). If the minimum times are 0ms, audio is starting or stopping at a non-zero point in the wave which results in obnoxious clicks every time a note starts or stops. Every synth on the planet works this way, it's just not obvious because most don't display the actual time constant.

The exception to this is drum sounds, because that click can be useful for emulating the sound of a stick whacking a drum head. (Roland 808's take advantage of this by mixing in the pulse trigger signal with the actual drum sounds) The "click" button on our Percussion EG module actually sets the attack to 0ms to emulate this.
andro

Post by andro »

Hey CA, fix updated for me this morning. Great work! Thank you.

I was not questioning the 2ms minimum. As you say 0ms is just not on. Agreed. There was no issue with that, just as speculation as to why the slider was out.
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

On a related note, while patching with this module yesterday, I noticed a niggling annoyance with the sliders. When trying to make a fine adjustment, especially at the bottom end, when you click on the slider somewhere on the knob, the slider jumps to meet the mouse. This makes it difficult to move it just a tad. If you want the slider not to jump, you have to click exactly on the white line. This problem of course does not exist with knobs.

Return to “Cherry Audio”