Poly to Mono Problem

UrbanCyborg

Poly to Mono Problem

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I'm having a small problem with Poly to Mono in a testbed patch I'm setting up. What I'm trying to do is to get polyphonic behavior from oscillators that don't have poly versions; in this case, Additive Oscillator. I use Poly to Mono to split out Poly Pitch and Poly Gate, using the output to control a small number of monophonic synth chains.

The problem I'm seeing is that not all the keys play notes, although I can find ones that do, so I've verified that all three synth chains are functional. Is the problem that Poly to Mono assumes that all pitch and gate channels are active, whereas I'm only using the first three break-outs? If that's the problem, is there a way to somehow limit Poly Pitch and Poly Gate to just the three channels I'm actually using? Or should I patch all of the break-outs to one or another of the three synth chains? A screen capture and patch follow.
The attachment Voltage Modular 2.3.4 1_9_2022 3_20_53 PM.png is no longer available
Voltage Modular 2.3.4 1_9_2022 3_20_53 PM.png
Voltage Modular 2.3.4 1_9_2022 3_20_53 PM.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2679 times
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
UrbanCyborg

Re: Poly to Mono Problem

Post by UrbanCyborg »

The patch didn't make it onto my original post. Here's trying again.
Classic Organ Testbed Experiment.voltagepreset
(28.77 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Hi UrbanCyborg,

setting the "number of voices" in the "Poly Sources" panel to 3 should solve this. If you really want 8 voices of polyphony you will need 8 synth chains.

Best regards,
Martin
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks for the solution, Martin. I looked at the patch yesterday and thought it was useful, but didn't have time to figure out what was going on with it. With your tweak, I saw that a repeated note will stay on the same channel/lane while a different note will switch to a different channel/lane. I didn't see that in the module description or help.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Thanks, Martin. I held it down to three voices because this is just a test of concept. I'd forgotten about that setting since reading through the startup docs.

Return to “Cherry Audio”