Plug-in host problems (re-produceable crash)

tgrey

Plug-in host problems (re-produceable crash)

Post by tgrey »

I'm seeing two problems with the plug-in host module. I've tried the full and the mini version, and have the same results in both. This is on a rather outdated OSX install (no more updates from Apple for the outdated hardware): 10.13.6

The major problem problem is a crash, and it occurs 100% of the time I try to load "Vital", a free plug-in synth... it happens in *ALL* plugin modes (VST 2 & 3, and AU). I am able to load vital both in it's stand-alone mode and as a plug-in in Reaper without an issue, but it hard crashes VM every single time. It'd be great if this could be resolved, Vital is a fantastic synth and would be a powerhouse to have available in VM.

The second problem isn't as important since there's a workaround, but worth mentioning anyway: Disappearing "window decorations" for the plug-in editor window. So far I have only seen this happen with iZotope's Iris 2 plug-in synth and only when loaded in VST3 mode. Loading VST2 or AU seems to bypass the issue. In VST3 mode the window decorations render properly the first time the plug-in window is displayed. But once you close it and re-open using the "View Editor" button, the synth's screen appears without VM's decorations, meaning it can't be moved or closed without removing the host module.

Let me know if there are suggestions to try on my end too, but it definitely feels like a VM specific problem on both issues. I'm very curious if anyone with a fresher OSX install has better luck with Vital.
Steve W

Re: Plug-in host problems (re-produceable crash)

Post by Steve W »

I am on Windows 10 but I have seen that some plug-ins do not work well or at all in either the mini or maxi host. A few soft synths I have will always result in crashes that cause VM to shut down unexpectedly. I seem to recall a note somewhere about that--maybe in the host descriptions?

I just choose another plug-in to use within VM.
Last edited by Steve W on Mon May 10, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

Ah, I hadn't seen "The big disclaimer"... honestly I hadn't even read the help description for that module at all until you mentioned it, the module was straight forward enough that I didn't really need to look anything up.

But on that same help description they do also say:
Some plug-ins may crash our system, but we're continually working to improve third-party plug-in support.
So if nothing else, this is a hopeful bug report ;)
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

tgrey wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:34 pm Ah, I hadn't seen "The big disclaimer"... honestly I hadn't even read the help description for that module at all until you mentioned it, the module was straight forward enough that I didn't really need to look anything up.

But on that same help description they do also say:
Some plug-ins may crash our system, but we're continually working to improve third-party plug-in support.
So if nothing else, this is a hopeful bug report ;)
send it to support, that is a real bug report. this is not always read, or commented..
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

HowlingMod wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:29 am send it to support, that is a real bug report. this is not always read, or commented..
Cool, will do. Doesn't hurt to ask here first either, but yeah... I can see that it shouldn't be considered "official". I am still curious if anyone with a more current OSX install has the same troubles, but I guess I can leave that to support and their beta team.

FWIW I did also get a chance to test, and Vital works fine on Windows 10. Hopefully that indicates good news, and that OSX just has some hiccups to work out.

Return to “Cherry Audio”