Polyphonic Unison

Post any handy Voltage tips or tricks you've come across here.
PaleSkinnySwede

Polyphonic Unison

Post by PaleSkinnySwede »

Instead of destroying the "Suggested New Module/s" chatting about how to work-around the fact that there isn't a Unison module with polyphonic inputs, I'm posting it as a new thread here under the "Tips and Tricks" section :D

Screenshot of what I finally made:

I've also attached the Voltage Preset file if anyone wants to download it and have their own go. This patch uses around 35% of my CPU. You've been warned ;)

If you double the setup as it is now, you can push the unison to 8 voices but that will probably make your fan spin ridiculously while your CPU will smell funny :roll:

I've used the two first knobs to control the cutoff freq and resonance on all the filters. Knobs 5 through 8 are the ADSR for all VCA envelopes while knob 9 is the Detune for the oscillators.

Anyhow. It should give you some ideas how to make polyphonic unison patches. Let me know how it goes!
Attachments
(DL) Poly Unison Pad.voltagepreset
(40.69 KiB) Downloaded 360 times
evo2slo

Re: Polyphonic Unison

Post by evo2slo »

Thanks for the pic and the preset - and for moving the topic to a new place. I'm looking forward to digging into it later when my day frees up. :)
evo2slo

Post by evo2slo »

Great preset! I kind of took what you did but substituted one PSP eFemerizer module for the separate oscillators. That allowed for only one of each module instead of four.

Pros with the eFeM:
More voices for bigger chords and lighter CPU load
Can easily change the Waveform type and octaves
More compact

Cons:
The width control on the stereo spread module is kind of wonky, not as smooth as the other patch, voices jump around more
Detuning is tricky. I'm not sure exactly what the settings are in the Poly Unison module, but recreating it with the Shift controls on the eFeM is difficult. Maybe there's a better way to set up a single control knob to subtly shift the pitches but I'm nor sure how to do that.

At this point I would use the DL patch because it sounds better, but if the stereo imaging and detuning of the eFem patch could be improved I'd rather use that one for more voices and less cpu.

chord_unison.png
chord_unison.png (788.75 KiB) Viewed 6690 times
chord_unison.png
chord_unison.png (788.75 KiB) Viewed 6690 times
EVO Chord Unison.voltagepreset
PSP eFeMerizer chord unison
(15.1 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

[shameless plug] It seems you all need the MRB Sawtooth Animator available in both mono and poly versions. The poly module provides up to 9 oscillators per voice. Hold down a 4 note chord and you'll hear 36 oscillators. An octave in the left hand and a 4-note chord in the right will thrill you to 54 oscillators -- and that's just one Animator. Both versions are now part of the MRB Laboratory Bundle or are available separately. Please check 'em out.
evo2slo

Post by evo2slo »

MRBarton wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:21 pm [shameless plug] It seems you all need the MRB Sawtooth Animator available in both mono and poly versions. The poly module provides up to 9 oscillators per voice. Hold down a 4 note chord and you'll hear 36 oscillators. An octave in the left hand and a 4-note chord in the right will thrill you to 54 oscillators -- and that's just one Animator. Both versions are now part of the MRB Laboratory Bundle or are available separately. Please check 'em out.
I have the MRB bundle and love it. The Poly Sawtooth Animator seems great for what I've been looking for, and sounds wonderful.

When I use it I am experiencing a lot of note dropouts. In the attached picture I have it following the poly VCO and when I bypass the Sawtooth Animator I get no dropouts at all, but with the Sawtooth Animator there are many dropouts occurring.

Could you share a preset that incorporates the Sawtooth Animator, or explain how it should optimally be connected to avoid dropouts?
SawtoothAnimator.jpg
SawtoothAnimator.jpg (342.51 KiB) Viewed 6288 times
evo2slo

Post by evo2slo »

The forum attachment feature seems glitchy and wouldn't allow me to include my preset in the above post..

I also added a mono version of the Animator chain in another cabinet in the same preset and with the mono version I'm not getting any audio at all out of the Animator. I'm sure I must be missing something obvious but help would be appreciated.
sawtooth animator.voltagepreset
(16.96 KiB) Downloaded 302 times

EDIT: I'm not sure if there was an update, or if the issue was just with the state of my computer at the time, but I just tried the Sawtooth Animator again and it is now working flawlessly. It's a fantastic module. Thanks!
andro

Post by andro »

How about Polyphonic Unison from Monkey Business Audio?

Return to “Tips and Tricks”