the next Big steps...

Post any handy Voltage tips or tricks you've come across here.
tamarack

the next Big steps...

Post by tamarack »

Hi everyone. I'm right at the start of the learning curve. I think I know where I want to go but I'd like to get there efficiently and stay on track. I just got the low commitment Nucleus starter pack. I'm wondering if the Core or Ignite packs are the way to go or if I could be more selective and focus on getting specific modules that I need?

I'm interested in generative ambient. I'd also like to input found sound into VM, either to mess with it / process it, or to sample it and use bits in composition, or maybe even to use some in granular synthesis, or perhaps found sound audio signal to control modulation. Or if I could make something like a morphagene? I think I'll work mostly in a DAW and try to blend VM in with field recordings and some fiddle and frame drum.

Probably I'm here because of Helene Vogelsinger. I find her work enchanting.

That's probably way too broad to answer, but I'd really value even any little tips or suggestions, or maybe a link to a good resource for self study. Or cool artists I should be listening to. Thanks. ( i'm going through all the youtube vm tutorials i can find, it'll keep me busy for a bit :-)
tamarack

Re: the next Big steps...

Post by tamarack »

that was a ridiculous question.. it came from exuberance... i found the sampler 1 which is in core, and the sampler 2 which looks more fun.. i think one of those will be important for me.. anyway, i'll figure it out, going to settle in and enjoy the process, it's not happening overnight ..
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

Core is the way to go. It's an excellent selection of useful modules, covering the entire gamut of module types. It also includes a couple of really great utilities, Remote Control and Plugin Host (look them up).

Core sometimes comes on sale for $50, but even at the regular price, it's a real deal.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

Welcome! It's not a ridiculous question... there's a lot to take in, and a lot to get excited about here. I'll second that core is a great diving board. There's a lot of really important key tools in there, almost all of which see regular use (for me at least).

After that, I tend to buy in bundles most of the time... and I try to target when they're on sale if possible. Mostly because I want *EVERYTHING*, and it gets rather expensive at full price. :lol: Usually there's enough value to me in most bundles that anything I didn't want that bad is getting thrown in for free once you factor in the per module cost.

I made a post of some of my top recommendations about two months ago. These are are still my top:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684

That is, with two *VERY* important additions, two very different sequencers:

Determinsm: https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/determinism - A hard to describe sequencer, unlike any other. Watch the video for the best idea of what's going on, no text I write will be as effective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGkxZOjPMp0

Gate Nouveau 64: https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/g ... -sequencer - An incredibly advanced gate sequencer with 64 steps and 16 tracks, that can each run at their own rates, and *TONS* more. If you're looking for a good pattern sequencer, look no further! It doesn't just have a video tho, it has an entire series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_qYN0 ... Q1JcIF5raC

Good luck on the journey!
tamarack

Post by tamarack »

Thank you!! That's helpful... fun times ahead learning how to put all of this together..
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

huggermugger wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:02 pm Core is the way to go. It's an excellent selection of useful modules, covering the entire gamut of module types. It also includes a couple of really great utilities, Remote Control and Plugin Host (look them up).
I don't think Remote Control is part of Core. It's a separate $15 purchase (unless you managed to get some special deal).
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Remote Control was part of the Cherry Audio Year 1 Bundle.

A great module either way, probably should have been part of core...
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

tgrey wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:36 pm Yeah, I'm pretty sure Remote Control was part of the Cherry Audio Year 1 Bundle.

A great module either way, probably should have been part of core...
Oops, my mistake! Yeah, it's in Year 1. And yeah, it should be in Core, it's so fundamental to patch creation!

Return to “Tips and Tricks”