Boolean Question - MIDI note voltages for comparison?

Post any handy Voltage tips or tricks you've come across here.
falviani

Boolean Question - MIDI note voltages for comparison?

Post by falviani »

Hi All,

I would like to be able to trigger when a midi note of a specific pitch comes in. I looked at the boolean module but (not surprisingly) it works with just CV voltages. I've looked for a table converting between midi notes and voltages but can't find one. How would I go about doing this comparison? Is there another way to do so?

I'm willing to write my own module if necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Frank
farbstoff-fabrik

Re: Boolean Question - MIDI note voltages for comparison?

Post by farbstoff-fabrik »

I was thinking of two different solutions for your question.

1. Use the threshold which you can cable op to the pitch, if signals go above a specific range it lets either a gate or pitch out. I use that on velocity to add a trigger to accented notes for instance
2. Use the midi drum trigger module, that will send a gate signal when a specific pitch value is triggered
3. Combination of 1 and 2 (or the dry pitch channel as a second input to the boolean) with a boolean AND.

Maybe above things helps you in your search for the solution.

Cheers,

Matt
falviani

Post by falviani »

HI,

Thanks for the ideas. I found a free voltage meter in the store and discovered(1) 1v per octave and (2) value changes per half step. My keyboard (Impact LX49) goes from octave -3 to octave +4 with the default at octave 2. I think I can put together a simple module with an text input for the desired value to compare against, a rotary to choose comparison type (<, =, >) and an output jack to send (I think) a 1ms 1v signal when the comparison is met. My java is rusty but this seems fairly straightforward. I don't know if I want to limit the input range; I plan to use this with a MPD218 pad controller, where I've got 3 banks of 16 pads. The note values for the pads are configurable using a standalone program. Your suggestions?

-Frank
farbstoff-fabrik

Hi Frank,

I have experience using synthedit. I hade a few synths under AlterexVST, but java just feels like a bridge to far for me.
If you like to split specific pitches it could also be done with the midi-splitter https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/splitter.

Or, if you like to do let's say: if pitch = 5V then : output is gate signal it should/could be programmed. My knowledge is 0 at java. I was a master at turbobasic when i was 11 :o .

Calculating volts > pitch, maybe some handy links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV/gate#: ... mi%2Dtones.
http://bytenoise.co.uk/CV-gate

I am availible for gui design if needed.

Cheers,

Matt
farbstoff-fabrik

Hey Frank,

Is your intention to trigger a gate signal when there is a specific note-cv? If so is it intended to trigger drums? I posted on facebook group a setup for drum triggering which works but only in mono unfortunately. You description makes poly triggering possible in my opinion. Which would be an awesome solution for my “problem”.

Cheers,

Matt
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Hey Frank,

since you've mentioned the Boolean Logic module, I assume you have at least VM Ignite, which also includes the MIDI Drum Trigger module. This module should do exactly what you want, if I understood you correctly.

Best regards,
Martin
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube

Return to “Tips and Tricks”